At Family Dentistry of Royal Oak, our goal is to help you keep your natural teeth for a lifetime. And although this is always our last resort, sometimes it means that a tooth extraction will be required to protect your remaining teeth. Here are some situations in which tooth extractions in Royal Oak may be the best solution for your oral health.
When Do I Need an Extraction?
Here are the scenarios in which a tooth extraction may be your best choice:
- Deep dental decay or infection. If decay has reached the nerve of your tooth, and it's damaged your tooth beyond what root canal therapy can restore, it will be necessary to extract your tooth to protect your overall health and neighboring teeth.
- Periodontitis, or advanced gum disease. Periodontitis destroys the gum tissue and bone that support your teeth. When it's severe or left untreated for too long, your teeth become mobile and will fall out. It's best to extract a tooth that has reached this point.
- A deep crack or fracture. If your tooth has been broken or fractured enough to allow decay into the root, it may be too late for root canal therapy to preserve it.
- Wisdom teeth. Also called third molars, wisdom teeth can often wreak havoc on your oral health if they are not removed. This is because they are hard to keep clean due to their location, which increases your risk of developing tooth decay. They also sometimes remain stuck beneath your gum line or impacted, which can lead to an infection. Wisdom teeth may also crowd your other teeth and cause shifting.
- Orthodontics. In some cases of severe crowding, tooth extractions might make orthodontic treatment easier and quicker.
If you've been told you need an extraction, you can rely on Dr. Chalasani and her team to take great care of you from start to finish. Contact Family Dentistry of Royal Oak to learn more about how we can help you.